Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Wall Decor and a Cape!

Sarah and I have been sharing crafty ideas over on the awesomeness known as Pinterest, and when I saw some of the wall decor she has been making, I decided to try my hand at it too.

And I'm not going to lie, I'm kind of impressed with what I have made. I mean, they're no Monet, but they are cute and look nice in our bedroom. I am happy with that.

The first piece of wall art I made is my version of this post from kiki creates.


It was SUPER easy to make. I made a quick trip to Aaron Brothers and picked up a Nantucket frame and then I headed to Hobby Lobby for some cute paper. When I got home, I made very small modifications to the file Sarah so graciously shared with me, and then I printed it on a piece of Vellum. Then I backed it with the cute paisley paper, framed it up and hung it on the wall in our dressing area. Cute and sweet!

After my initial wall decor creation I decided to try another project. I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted to make, but I knew I wanted something to hang over our bed. I have two silver frames that are 11x14 and have been in storage (aka the garage) since we moved in our house over a year ago, so I thought I would pull them out and do something with them. After brainstorming several options, I finally decided to go with monograms.

Once I finished thinking through what I wanted the final product to look like, I made another trip to the Hobby Lobby and picked up some white spray paint, white mats, and some scrapbook paper.

I painted the frames white, put the mats into the frames, and then I started working on the monograms. To begin, I printed out a K and an A in the font size and type I liked, I taped it to the solid colored paper I purchased, broke out the X-Acto knife and started cutting around the letters. Once I was done cutting, I backed them with the printed scrapbook paper and framed them up.

This is the finished product. I think they look pretty good. Now I just need to hang them on the wall!



After spending some time decorating the walls, I decided to make something for the boy. I chose something quick and easy! I decided to re-purpose one of my old T-shirts into a cape for Dylan a la this tutorial on the Summer Institute.

So quick! And definitely worth it!





Tomorrow I am taking my sewing machine over to Sarah's house for some collaborative craftiness. I'm not sure what I am going to make yet, but maybe I'll come away with something to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment