Saturday, August 7, 2010

Decluttering (That's a word, right?)

The other day I wrote about being overwhelmed by the amount of stuff we have, so I have formulated a plan to rid ourselves of our clutter.

The first step was to have a garage sale, so we did - yesterday from 8:00am-12:00pm and this morning from 8:00am until about 10:30am. We got rid of a lot of stuff, made $200 and allowed some people to walk away with a "steal."

The second step was to take everything (minus VHS tapes and  books) that didn't sell and donate it. Done! Then Kyle visited Half-Price Books and sold the books and VHS tapes for another $25.

Step three is more of a "project" a la Seifipour. Every day for the next month, I am going to clean out an area of our house and get rid or "re-purpose" something (not just trash.) My initial thoughts are to sell some more of my books on Ebay (I have some first edition and signed copies), sell a few "estate" things on Etsy, donate, Freecycle and throw away as needed.

We will see how it goes. I plan on updating here with some photos and my thoughts as I go.

My plan tomorrow is to clean out the cabinet in our bathroom. Let "Operation Declutter" begin!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with your decluttering endeavors!! I am hoping to do the same someday....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had all summer to declutter and haven't!!! I am going to keep up with your posts and hopefully that will provide a little more motiviation! I desperately need to declutter before Christmas gets here with all of the "stuff" it brings!!!!
    Best Wishes on your new job endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,

    I hope I can provide you with some inspiration!

    Thank you both for your well wishes!

    ReplyDelete