Friday, August 20, 2010

Pants on the Ground

I had one of Dylan's socks fall out of my pant leg this morning and it made me remember another time not so long ago...

It was a scorching hot Sunday two summers, ago and I was about 6 months pregnant. I decided to brave the heat and do my weekly grocery shopping at Super Target. It was just a normal Sunday afternoon as I headed in to the store.

Since I was 6 months pregnant my belly had grown in excess of my "normal" pants and I had recently updated my wardrobe with some denim Capri pants. I was looking pretty cute in my stylish Capri pants (the kind with the fancy upturned cuffs something akin to these) and a red maternity tee. 

As I walked through the parking lot and towards the store entrance, I felt something rub at the bottom of my pants, so I reached down and readjusted the cuff. I then got my basket and began my shopping - produce section first! The cuff on my pants just kept bothering me and I reached down to situate my pants again (stupid cuff!) 

Since I was rapidly increasing in size I decided to take a look at the clothes in the maternity section.

In the Target where I shop the make-up/grooming section is located to the left of the aisle (headed towards the back of the store) and the clothes section is on the right. I decided to walk down this aisle since it is a straight shot to maternity section.

Since it was Sunday, there were product samples taking place. By the make-up section there was a very stylish and conservative older African-American woman sampling lotion, and as I approached her she looked up at me, saw my belly and smiled. I was off in my own little world (as always) but noticed her look and gave her a grin back... when I tripped.

The trip wasn't nearly clumsy enough to cause me to crash to the ground... it was more like tripping over my feet, but the lovely lady's face was struck with panic (as I am sure she envisioned my humongous pregnant body collapsing to the floor.) Luckily I am used to tripping, so I composed myself and looked at the floor to see what was causing the issues.

Lying at my feet was what appeared to be a black piece of cloth - the culprit! I reached down and grabbed it and then held it up to show the lady (did I mentioned she was quite conservative in appearance.)
As I looked towards my hands, I notice I was holding up a pair of black UNDERPANTS. I must have had a very confused look on my face (she sure did.) 

This is the conversation that followed...

Her - "What is that?"

Me - "It appears to be a pair of underpants."

Her - "Are they YOURS?"

Me - "No!"

Her- "How did those get in the aisle? Do you think someone dropped them (said with a disgusted look on her face)? "

At this point she offered me a small trashcan to dispose of my find. It was right about this time that I realized they WERE MY UNDERPANTS.  

My underpants had just fallen out of my pants and I tripped over them in the middle of Target (while 6 months pregnant.)  

The underpants had apparently been stuck in my pants leg and that was what had been bothering me all day... not the cuff of my pants. :)

I kept my epiphany to myself while the nice lady insisted I disinfect my hands with the bottle of rubbing alcohol she happened to have at her stall.

I thanked her and finished my shopping. I threw away a perfectly good pair of underpants, but I kept a shred of dignity (at least I like to think so.)

On the drive home, I decided I would keep the story to myself, but I couldn't, and ended up telling my friends Phillip and Sarah at work the next day. They laughed until tears came to their eyes. I have told several people since. It is always good for a laugh!

Now it is your turn to share an embarrassing story... add it in the comments so we can all have a laugh!

1 comment:

  1. I have only read the first sentence and I am already laughing out loud. I LOVE THIS STORY!

    ReplyDelete