Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I am Socially Awkward

Yesterday was my first day of face-to-face training with Connections Academy which means I had to meet a lot of new people... those of you who know me know that it takes me a bit to warm up to people. I would be perfectly fine sitting in the corner by myself watching everyone else interact, but I sucked it up and tried my best to be friendly. I think I did okay. The co-workers I met are super nice and have all been very eager to answer questions and assist which has helped me with my friendliness issues.

After our day of training yesterday (which was mostly procedural based) we had a Meet the Teacher picnic at Bear Creek Park (where they have animals!) The plan was to cook hot dogs, have some games (I was in charge of hula hoops) and get to meet some of the families... unfortunately it rained.

We still held the picnic (there was a pavilion to stand under) but most of the games were canceled, and I am guessing we didn't have quite as many attendees as we would have sans dampness (I was soaked and my hair curled up into a stylish little puffball - it was a great look for a first impression.) I was, however, surprised with the amount of families who did attend... some of which drove for several hours. I got to meet around ten of my students and their families; the families and students were all so excited to start the school year!

We were all pretty much exhausted after the day and picnic so I came back to the hotel room and crashed!

Today was the second day of training (and a little less socially awkward for me.) One of the things that I have been impressed with is the administration's continued discussion of customer service. All too often in public education I think teachers view students and parents as problems to deal with, and unfortunately, they are not always "dealt" with in a respectful, prompt and/or courteous manner. I like the expectation that students and their families are our customers and it is our job to teach them and assist them through their educational journey. I am looking forward to honing my customer service skills.

I have had numerous people ask me if I am nervous about starting my new job. I have also had co-workers check on me to make sure I am doing okay...

I am doing great. I am confident I will be able to "handle" the virtual environment and although I know there will be times I feel overwhelmed by the  amount of grading I have to complete or the contacts I have to log... I am going to be fine. I am looking forward to getting back in the "classroom."

Over the last two days of training I have been struck by the similarities involved in teaching successfully in a  face-to-face setting and a virtual one.

The first similarity I have discovered is that the start of school is hectic! I do not have a "room" to prepare but I do have a LiveLessons welcome presentation to create, a teacher profile to update, curriculum to learn and welcome calls to make, but I know it will even out... eventually.

The second similarity is scheduling. Just as in a "bricks and mortar school" scheduling is a problem. Students continue to enroll and class sizes INCREASE. When I log in an look at the amount of students on my roster, I am overwhelmed, but then again that is how the school year always begins. Until schedules are leveled, class sizes are large (or very small.) Another 8th grade ELA teacher has been hired to take some of my class load, so I am taking a deep breath and am not going to stress about it.

And the third similarity is the students... they come to the class at a variety of levels and it is our job to customize their education to help them be successful. I am good with that.

So, as I get ready to head to dinner, I am doing well... just taking it all in and formulating my plans.

4 comments:

  1. I find it interesting that you consider yourself socially awkward. I never would label you that way. Me yes, you no.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been "lucky" to see me "in my element." When I am presenting... I am good (and by good, I mean not nervous.) When I am with people I know I am outgoing, but in small groups or individually with people I don't know, I am AWKWARD. I am AWFUL with small talk and I have some nervous laughter issues (Seifipour has witnessed the nervous laughter first hand... it is something.)

    And, I think of you more as shy than socially awkward. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (I did not finish my comment before I posted it! Dumb!)

    Ohhhhh, the nervous laughter!

    Unfortunately, I also struggle with laughing at inappropriate moments. It seems to be a coping mechanism for dealing with extremely uncomfortable situations! The worst part is that when I am around someone who also has the inappropriate laughter issue - ANGELA! - things go downhill very quickly, and we go from just imagining that we're social misfits to actually BEING social misfits. I bet it's pretty funny to watch!

    The incident Angela is referring to took place at one of those lingerie showers for a mutual friend who was getting married. I'm pretty sure it started shortly after the fuzzy handcuff ensemble was unwrapped....

    ReplyDelete