Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012 is Here

So, it is 2012, and I have been reflecting on 2011 and resolutions. I have come to the following conclusions.

All but the closing of 2011 was good. And even with my dad's passing, I am blessed beyond measure. I am hoping 2012 will be a year of growth and productivity and my blessings will continue.

With that said, I'm not really in to resolutions; they tend to be very specific and often short lived. Instead, I am just going to keep working on becoming a better person mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I figure that pretty much covers it all. ;)

Some of the specific goals I have are to work out consistently. I am really good at exercising hard for a month or so and then falling out of the routine and doing nothing for a month or two until I start the cycle again. That pretty much sums up me and exercise for the majority of my life, so my goal is to work on consistency. I am hoping that since I have found a yoga studio I like and can work into my schedule that I will be able to accomplish this goal. Plus, I have also seen a resurgence in my running and cycling desire, so maybe I can hang on to something for a consistent bit.

The other goals I have all center around being positive and focusing on strengthening the blessings I already have - becoming a better, more patient mom and wife, expanding my knowledge of the topics I enjoy (nutrition, gardening, sewing, fitness, technology, photography, and education) and maybe even familiarizing myself with some knew topics, and increasing my faith. I also want to work on letting go of things that I can't control... because, well, I can't control everything (even if I desperately want to.)

So with all of these things in mind, I thought I would start out the year with a fun "challenge" of sorts. I enjoy cooking and Pinterest so I am going to work on cooking some of the new recipes I come across on Pinterest and documenting my thoughts on the recipes here. I am going to shoot for 4-5 Pinterest recipes a week for a month or so, but we will see how it goes.

I tend to cook pretty healthy and don't use a lot of pre-packaged foods and people always seem to be interested in what I cook at my house, so I shall do my best to share with you all. If I am feeling particularly feisty, I might include some photos, but don't count on it.

So I shall go ahead and begin with tonight's dinner. For dinner tonight I made Yoshinoya Beef Bowls via Pinterest and Iowa Girl Eats. I didn't take any photos, but there are some good ones on the Iowa Girl's page, so you can get a peek there.

I followed the recipe as it is laid out on the site and it turned out pretty darn tastey. I served it over brown rice with Mukimame and freshly steamed broccoli and carrots. By the way, as far as vegetables go, I usually just steam them. And, if you don't have a vegetable steamer, I would suggest investing in one. It is the most often used kitchen "gadget" I have.

The men folk seemed to enjoy the meal. Dylan tasted the meat but then opted for just the veggies and the rice, but that is his normal routine; he is the most unusual three year old eater ever. At least he didn't spit the meat out. :) One bite was it though.

Kyle on the other hand ate everything on his plate as did I. So, I am thinking it is a keeper. It is a quick, easy and pretty nutritious meal. I think I will try it with chicken next. You should give it a try. :)

If you use Pinterest to pin recipes and I am not following you, please let me know so I can get you added. I need all of the ideas I can get.

I hope you all have a fantastic 2012. Feel free to let me know what you ave cooking in your kitchen as well!

2 comments:

  1. OH! I'm so glad you tried the beef bowls. I pinned them a while back but I haven't made them yet. I'll put them on an upcoming menu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sarah I was a little leary of trying them because they are basically meat bowls, but I was pleasantly surprised... and they heated up well for my lunch today. :)

    ReplyDelete