Monday, August 2, 2010

My First Love

When I was little I remember visiting the library during the summer, choosing books to read, peeking at the hamster who resided in the children's area and generally enjoying my time. I don't remember a lot of specifics about the trip - who took me, if I ever went to story time, all of the books I read, but I remember the feeling of LOVING books (and of the cute little hamster).

As I got older I remember participating in the library's summer book club and the excitement I got from each book I checked out and read. I fell in love with Ramona Quimby, Ribsy, Encyclopedia Brown, Ralph S. Mouse, Bunnicula and Stuart Little. They helped me develop my imagination and kept me company when it was too hot to play outside, when my brother was too busy to play with me or when I just wanted a break.

I still escape in to books. I end my day each night reading whatever book has caught my fancy. Reading helps me focus on one thing, quiet my mind and relax... the Stephen King books I read as a teenager have given way to a more varied assortment (and books more suited to night time reading). I'm currently on a young adult reading kick and am making my way through the fourth of the Percy Jackson and The Olympians series, am waiting on book three of the Hunger Games trilogy and re-read some "classics" for my upcoming eighth grade English teaching gig.

I have rediscovered my love for the library... it is convenient, free and AWESOME. This summer Dylan and I have visited our local library several times a week... and he always exclaims, "books," when we pull into the parking lot. It seems Dylan LOVES the library too. Dylan's current favorite is No More Diapers for Ducky - in fact, we had to purchase it because Dylan was so attached to, "Ducky."

FYI - The Richardson Library is great because their website allows you to log in and put books, DVDs, audio books, etc. on hold and then you can just pick them up and off you go. I'm guessing other libraries have this "feature" as well.

We canceled our Netflix account and Showtime to conserve funds so we have enjoyed the DVDs. I have checked out A LOT. My favorite has been The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I was shocked at the variety of DVDs the library has available... many of which I consider "new" (because I hardly ever actually go to the movies).

So my suggestion to you, is check out your local library and see what they have to offer. You might just re-discover a first love.

No comments:

Post a Comment