Sunday, January 15, 2012

An Eclectic Mix of Thoughts

So, the other day when I dropped Dylan off at school, his teacher ran over, got him, gave him a hug and told him good morning. And I thought, at what point in education do teachers stop greeting their students and letting them know they are happy to see them? Middle school? High school? And more importantly, why do teachers (myself included) stop doing this?

I am not suggesting that a middle school or high school teacher hug each of their students as they enter the room, but standing at the door and greeting them goes a long way. When I taught in an actual physical classroom, I tired my best to stand at the door and greet student as they came in AND, I tried hard to let them know I was happy to see them (even if I sometimes was exhausted and didn't feel all that happy.) Occasionally I had to make a visit to the "facilities" during the passing period and there were times when my students said they missed seeing me at the door ushering them in. So, I KNOW they notice and that it makes a difference to at least some of the students and that makes me happy. I like to know that something as little as a, "Good morning," or a, "Hello," can perk up a student's day and put them in the mood to learn.

Enough about education, let's talk about food. :) I haven't been posting my daily dinners, but that doesn't mean I haven't been cooking. So, let's take a look at some of the recipes I have come across on good ol' Pinterest lately.

Last week I made this pasta with tomato cream sauce via Pinterest and The Pioneer Women and let me just tell you this dinner was an EPIC FAIL. Let me just say that the recipe is good and I think had I actually followed it, our dinner would have turned out well... but I didn't. When I went to buy the supplies, the store was out of cream so I gt half and half. I also FORGOT to get fresh basil because I usually have it in the garden but it has died due to the cold. So, half and half and dried basil are NOT the same. Plus, I had a genius idea of trying rice pasta instead of my usual. Yeah, it was slimy and GROSS.

The next night I decided t make chipotle pork tacos with corn tortillas via Pinterest and Our Best Bites and they were okay. I followed the recipe exactly, but think if I make them again (which I am sure I will), I will ramp up the amount of adobo and not cook the red onion. I tend to like the red onion fresh. Although not a grand slam, these tacos are certainly worth a try.

And tonight I made roasted tomatoes with shrimp and feta via Pinterest and Real Simple. It was quick, easy, and pretty tasty. I served it with a mixed salad (spring mix, tomatoes, carrot, beets, and black beans) and fruit salad (apple, pear, grapes, and blackberries). Dylan has never had shrimp before so I wasn't sure if he would like it. It turns out he is a big fan. He ate EIGHT pieces of shrimp plus his entire salad and fruit salad. I guess I will be making shrimp more often.

I didn't even attempt to take photos of any of the food this week. Eh, whatever. I did, however, take pictures for the photography class I am auditing, and here they are. This particular assignment was to take some photos and then play with cropping using Pixlr. It was really fun and now I am a huge fan of Pixlr. It is a super easy and fun way to touch up your photos.

So, what has been happening with you this week? Make any good recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment